We’re taking a week off from our series on politics. Visit back next week for a clip from Adam Taylor, author of the recently published book Mobilizing Hope.

Leeana talks about how spending time wrestling with questions in faith with her group is helpful. Can you relate?

ABOUT THE INTERVIEWEE: Leeana Tankersley is the author of the book Found Art: Discovering Beauty in Foreign Places and blogs at gypsyink.com.
OTHER CLIPS BY: LEEANA TANKERSLEY
OTHER CLIPS ABOUT: Certainty | Who God Is
PURCHASE THIS CLIP: RYF Vol. 1 | Individual clip

11 Responses to “Bring Me Your Questions”

1. benjamin ady says:

I used to be able to relate. Then I moved internationally, thusly leaving, and in a sense losing, very nearly all my closest friends. Alas.

question question is so much more fun than question answer!

• Leeana says:

Benjamin! Don’t lose heart. I used to do an online group with some of these girls when I lived in the Middle East. Of course it wasn’t exactly the same, but it was SO meaningful nonetheless. I hope you find a safe place for your questions. Thanks for entering in to the conversation!

2. kar wheeler says:

i totally agree, questions are a fundamental part of being human and thus a disciple.
    i have come to notice that for me, sometimes my questions are actually a smoke screen for those things i dont question.
    like, if jonah did not live in a whale, then i dont have to give away my stuff. since i dont see a sign from heaven that
    God loves me, maybe in return i can be less forgiving.

i dont struggle with the things i dont know, as much as i struggle with things that are clear.

• Leeana says:

Very well said, Kar. Isn’t that true. If we could just live in the logical, straightforward places, we wouldn’t have to deal with the gray fray of believing. Thanks for making me think.

3. Tami says:

I love this… questions open the floor for relationship– otherwise, what is there? Just the fact that I’m openly asking or struggling is enough to invite the real dialogue and hopefully relationship. Since striking these types of conversations up with God lately, I’ve had open arms, and it’s been so, so free. Question question is definitely turning out to be a nice dance of the soul that I could just dance all the time and didn’t even know it until now…

4. Leeana says:

Exactly, Tami. I heard someone say yesterday that God is “relentlessly relational.” I love that. A relentlessly relational God must be invested in the dialogue. Thanks for offering your personal experience.

5. Elaine says:

Questions – I love it. We humans think answers are the most important thing. God has said we can’t know his mind – ‘we can’t know’. Our brain isn’t big enough to “know”. And yet, we operate as if it is possible to know what God is thinking.

And it is all about questions for me. A good, powerful question causes me to think and discover what I really believe. An easy answer doesn’t give me that.

My friend, Peter uses powerful questions to stimulate conversations and thinking. Powerful questions move me to a place of not knowing and exploring – to an authentic response. And Powerful Questions have NO RIGHT answer. There is only your answer. That is the beauty of a powerful question. there is no singular answer.

A Powerful Question is one that is “ambiguous, personal, and anxiety provoking – it forces me to bring myself to the question and search within myself for what I’m really thinking – what is my answer.

What is the crossroads that brought you hear today?
    Why was it important for you to be here today?
    What is the yes you no longer mean?
    What is the cost to you and others for you to withhold your gifts and talents from the world?

When you hear that question, you may ask – what crossroads? it is your crossroads…in life, your relationships, your job, your studies, what ever is working on you.

6. Tim says:

I heard a pastor say once that only 3 times in the Gospel did Jesus answer the question.

I think it’s interesting that the rabbinical tradition seemed a lot more comfortable with uncertainty than the keepers of the law and the temple. I’ve come to think that this is because the rabbinical tradition was more about living and walking, and the keepers of the law were more about about doctrine (or in a more cynical view: maintaining the status quo) and upholding tradition. For those who are on a journey, “question, question” is actually very useful and interesting. If you’re seeking to establish or maintain an institution, then you most definitely need question, answer.

In my view, Jesus called us to live, not be apologists for an institution. It’s why it’s called The Way, not The Place.

I’m looking forward to sitting down with Jesus and Benjamin Ady some day in heaven and listening to the conversation. :-)